Thursday, November 27, 2008

Normality?




HI Folks
And no, before you start panicking about the title, this post has no "New Yankee Workshop" content, so you can relax ;)

After all the excitement of WIA and the subsequent travel-tiredness, it's good to be "back-to-normal". Whatever that means.......?
And that means I've been cleaning up the 'shop (I must really of been panicking before I left for WIA - the place was in a complete state) With the shop tidy I spent some time re-arranging the tool chest. Just to get into the swing of things. And of course, I've been playing with my new Veritas Premium block plane. What a beauty - I'm still gob-smacked by its beauty and performance. Man, I'm sad :)

Did a small upgrade on the new mill - a digital readout for the Z axis (that's "up and down" to us simple types). The stop system that the mill came with might of been good enough for a drill press but useless on a mill. My new DRO was pretty simple to fit and works a treat. Got me thinking about the X and Y axis now........

Been busy making planes this week and all the while planning a new smoother. A customer has asked for a toted version of the brass soled smoother - I'm making prototypes this weekend so will hopefully have something to show soon. And the adjuster mechanisms are slowly coming together - having to learn more and more metalwork skills. One day I might be quite handy - just not yet ;)

Chief Shopcat Cupcake has been good company this week - I was testing a moving fillister today and she was up on the bench playing with the shavings as they curled out of the plane - hilarious! Just need to teach her how to use a broom..........

Been reading the threads on Woodnet about the new Veritas dovetail saw - quite amusing! Rob Lee and Co. must be sat there with big smirks on their faces! Amazing the emotion a new design can raise - I pretty sure Folks will be won over when they get to play with one, though. And that is a crucial thing - getting tools into peoples hands to try. It completely changes (or re-inforces) any preconceptions you may of held. And it's why I attended tool shows this year - and will be at many more next year! So please - if you see me at an event don't hesitate to come over and say "hi". Even if you hate wooden planes ;)

Be good,
Philly

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So tell me you have your cell phone back.

Philly said...

Yes - many thanks, Larry! All safe and sound :)
Say hi to Don for me,
Best regards
Phil

Kevin said...

Phil--is that perhaps a dado plane I spot on the rear of the bench?

:) Kevin

Philly said...

Kevin
Ahh....well spotted. Funnily enough, just out of shot is a set of four dado planes.........who could they be for ?
Back to the 'shop,
Philly :)

Ethan said...

Phil, what are you feeding that cat?? She's huge!

Philly said...

Ethan
You're right - Cuppers is getting BIG! Glad we didn't go for a puppy, now - Cuppers could probably hold her own against a dog. Well, maybe a small one.... ;)
Best regards
Phil

Philly said...

Ethan
You're right - Cuppers is getting BIG! Glad we didn't go for a puppy, now - Cuppers could probably hold her own against a dog. Well, maybe a small one.... ;)
Best regards
Phil

rookster said...

I suspect you're right about the Veritas dovetail saws, especially with the price point.

Now there's a choice that falls squarely between the Gent's saw "cheap and good enough" solution and the higher end of Adria, Wenzlof, Lie Nielsen, Gramercy, and others. I was amazed to see a $65 price tag on it, and if it saws as well as you suggest, I'll be happy to have one soon.

DaveL said...

Well it is good to see that all of your work is passes QA inspection before being shipped. I have staff like that in my shop.
As for Cupcake getting on with a dog, you just need the right pair, Daisy and Iona can often be found snoozing together. Daisy has trained Iona to ask for the door to be opened when we ignore her.