Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Well BLO Me.....


I'm up to my elbows in boiled linseed oil at the moment. I'm determined to use this as the finish for my cherry cabinet. On the test samples the BLO looked the nicest, giving a lovely satin look to the cherry. Also darkened the colour a lot, a good thing on freshly planed cherry.
The first coat was thined 50/50 with pure turpentine and I've rubbed two more full strength coats on since. The colour change is quite amazing!
Hopefully I'll start gluing up tomorrow night (I'm working away at the moment so play time is limited) and have the thing done on the weekend. Ah! The sweet smell of a completed project!
Also been knocking up some "sample joints" in beech/walnut to go with a magazine article (hopefully) in the offing. There's just not enough time in the day...... ;)

No comments: