Thursday, September 21, 2006

Tah Dah!


So here we are-a nice picture of the finished replacement saw handles. They look alright and feel great (the small rip tenon is a fave-cuts great!!)
I forgot how much I hate sanding curvy stuff. The walnut was a pain (surprise!), the maple a lot easier.
Mike, I have even more respect for your skills. To do this every day you deserve some kind of award! Respect!!
I plan to finish off the tool chest this weekend. Which probably puts the kiss of death on that idea ;)
We'll see...
Philly

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Phil, look good. More importantly, I think doing some of this making one's own tools or modifying them makes them one's own in a different way than mere ownership.

Case in point would be [often] carved Scandinavian planes. Sitting idle? Need a project? Heck, work on a tool. Tis great way to spend time I think.

And I like the cyclone! small footprint, something which would be important for me. Good job!

Take care, Mike

Philly said...

Mike
You're right-modifying (and improving!) your own tools does make them more personal. I have my fair share of quality tools but recently have started making and tweaking my own. You need to know how a fine tool works and FEELS before you can replicate it. Also it takes a while to know what you actually like in a tool.
The cyclone might have to live outside in its own lean-to. Lets face it-you can never have enough space ;)
Best regards
Phil

Anonymous said...

Hi Phil,

My DC lives in the attic above the shop. A pita for emptying it, but at least making saws doesn't fill it very quick.

I've been making noise about adding a covered patio off the back of the shop. If I ever do, I'll make an enclosure out there for it--and the all essential BBQ doodads.

DC systems are so essential, but man, they take up room.

Take care, Mike

Alf said...

"I forgot how much I hate sanding curvy stuff"

Ack, yes. But the end result is worth it. I must admit the idea of doing two handles in quick succession like that fills me with dread and horror. Strictly one once in a while for me! Proper job, Phil.