Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Yandles.....



HI Folks
Another crazy week here at Philsville - the Yandles Woodworking show is a couple days away and I've been working like crazy to catch up with orders and make stock to take to the show. The weekend after next is the European Woodworking show at Cressing Temple - a new woodworking show, and one that I think is going to be quite something. So no respite for me this month - at least I get a few months rest from shows after that.

Been making good progress on a Jointer plane this week - it is made from Ovangkol, a favourite timber of mine. Its a very hard timber, and working it is quite difficult as the grain is very interlocked and extremely prone to tear-out. So I've been taking it slow and steady, sharpening the tools at the first signs of trouble. The throat has been chopped out and the bed pared, the tote has been shaped and polished and I started work on the metalwork today - this plane is to have a Norris adjuster and screw cap. More pics as she comes to life......
Remember the Lambrettas gig I played a few weeks ago? I've managed to get my hands on two camcorder recordings made on the night - quite enjoyable to watch it again (as well as squirm at the mistakes!). We have had quite a few enquiries about playing other gigs so hopefully we should have a small tour booked for later this year. I'll keep you up to date on this as the dates are confirmed.

Cheers

Philly

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Phil, saw that article in Good Woodworking showing your Maloof style chair. Congrats!!

Swanz

Philly said...

Thanks Swanz - I'm sat in that as I type :)
Phil

Anonymous said...

Hi Phil. Is there any Australian bands you like to listen too.

Stewie (Australia)

Philly said...

Stewie
Yes, I'm mad on Mammal at the moment, as well as Jet.
Cheers
Phil