Monday, August 07, 2006

Lots of Shavings



Spent some time making the panels for the tool chest. Ripped some walnut down on the bandsaw before the daughter went to bed so I could make some shavings after dark. And what fun that was! Have a look.....
Using just hand tools to flatten and then thickness the four panels was an enjoyable process, especially as it went so smoothly. Sharp irons make life a lot easier, too. It is surprising just how accurate you can thickness stock (although I'm sure I could hear the De-Walt sniggering to itself in the background)
My drummer phoned in ill today so no band rehearsal this week-guess that means more shop time?? ;)
Though you might want to see the drill press cabinet I've been putting together. I've made it with mainly scraps and left-overs so it hasn't really cost anything. But it is very handy for the metal work-beats getting filings stuck to your bench! And somewhere to put the fan (an essential shop accessory!)
Have a good week,
Philly

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that top picture shows you are making your shop look right proper!

That's a handly looking cabinet for the drill press, Phil.

Take care, Mike

Philly said...

I'm just worried the shop doesn't look cluttered enough! ;)
The drill press unit is sturdy and eats up loads of bits and pieces. Well worth making!
Cheers
Phil