Thursday, January 25, 2007
Well, with the helpful advice on my new design idea taken to heart I've made some alterations. And it is looking good - I am so glad I've spent the time on the design instead of just breaking out the timber and making sawdust. And I had to force myself not to do that!
A trip to Yandles was duly made today with the Woodkateers in tow to purchase some more Paduak for the table. Sadly, I didn't have enough so off we went to deepest, darkest Somerset. As always, a wide and varied selection of boards was on show. After picking my way through various stuff I ended up with a lovely big board of paduak, 2.1 x 0.4 m, 50mm thick. I knew it was paduak because it was writen on the board along with the price. Went to pay and found Waka and Martin buying up the few remaining Bessey's that they had.....;)
Back at the workshop I put the paduak next to the baord I already had. I was surprised how different in colour they were but it does go much darker with time. But hang on......they look very much different. I took a few shavings and the smell gave it away. Yup, I had bought a board of Bubinga by mistake........:(
So I still don't have enough to make the design, even if I just use bubinga. I do have enough walnut in stock so maybe, maybe.......
Needless to say, I've handed in my "Timber Recognition" badge ;)