Friday, September 15, 2006

Get A Handle On It....


Just about recovered from the "Big Bash". It was such a great day plans are already being made for next years. Had a very physical week at work (not quite what I was expecting) so I'm glad it's Friday.
Picked up a nice little Tyzack tenon saw yesterday. Brass back, straight as a die, nasty handle. So last night while cleaning it up, Bingo! I'll make a new handle. Thanks to Mike W for his step by step photo's, it made life a lot easier. Another hour or so and it should be done.
Spent most of my workshop time this week (when not doing chores for the Missus to keep her sweet) cleaning up the workshop. It looks really good out there now, and a hell of a lot bigger than last weekend ;)
Need to turn up the knobs for my tool chest and then I can think about a stand for it. What do you lot think-a stand or a mobile base/lower chest?
Cheers
Philly

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Phil,

Having been a mechanic for x number of years, I am pretty use to top and bottom rolling chests. So that would be my vote--like I have one [g].

Take care--glad to see the handle shaping up...

Take care, Mike

Anonymous said...

Well, Phil, as the existing chest seemed to be virtually filled up (even though it's not finished yet) and your tool-buying epidemic shows no signs of getting better, you obviously need to go for a lower one. And while you're at it make them mobile, because you'll need to move them to make room for the next piece of machinery. Do I sound jealous? Me? What makes you think that?

Oh, nice handle!!

Paul Chapman

Alf said...

Definitely another mobile chest vote here. There's probably a joke there somewhere, but luckily it's a family show...

So bought a saw, eh? Making a handle, huh? (nice, btw) I expect the saw was cheap too, eh? Oh deary, deary me. If you thought you were in touble before... I don't think nearly enough people read my Dire Warning at the BB - I may have to post it on UKW. What d'you think, Mike? Or are they already past hope? :)

Incidentally, I should cut the slot for the blade sooner rather than later - having all the shaping work wasted 'cos the kerf goes AWOL is No Fun. DAMHIKT...

Anonymous said...

Hah. Are you talking about the infamous saw post on WN--the Mrs. printed that out and taped it to the file cabinet. We both chuckle when we read it! So if you don't post the warning...[g]

Yeah, Phil. Do cut the slot as soon as possible. But no worries. Measure the blade thickness and a bandsaw blade or two. You may find they are close enough.

Take care, Mike

Philly said...

Mobile base it is! Thanks for the feedback.
I cut the slot with Vlad's tenon saw (just a bit wider kerf). It looks good although that walnut can be a pain to sand in certain parts of the hand-Mike I salute you for doing this every day.
Be interested (I think) to read the infamous saw post.
Philly

Alf said...

Right, infamous saw post 'tis 'ere

Don't say you weren't warned. Well you weren't... but you are now!

Anonymous said...

A great read, Alf. Delightful mix of humour and irony. Definitely worth copying and sticking up as Mrs W did. I'll probably stick mine up over the saw sharpening vice when I've finished it - next to the shelf for the elastoplast for the hands!!

Paul Chapman